Edmonton’s Front Yards are in Bloom!
Front Yards in Bloom is back and we want to see your bloomin’ great yards! The Front Yards in Bloom program is all about recognizing neighbours who make an effort to beautify their front yards. Front Yards in Bloom started in 1999, with 150 nominations in its first year. It is now the largest program of its kind in Canada and last year we received over 5,000 nominations city-wide!
We are excited to be adding a new category for this year only called Uniquely Canadian; gardens that celebrate Canada with red and white flowers and/or features invoking our shared heritage.
Don’t miss out on being involved in this year’s Front Yards in Bloom! Nominations are accepted from May 20 – June 30 in five categories:
- General: Appealing front yards that makes people smile as they pass by! These yards could include a variety of colours, textures, plants, and garden features. Must have at least 25% flowering plants, but can still include pots and containers.
- Natural: A yard with native flowers, trees, shrubs or ground cover plants that attract local wildlife such as birds, bees, butterflies, and other insects.
- Edible: Yards incorporating edible fruits, flowers, and leaves into the landscape design. An edible yard is one with 60% edible plants (compared to all plants) or more.
- Public Spaces: Yards with landscaping features and aesthetic appeal in front of a public building (including schools, businesses/offices, multi-unit residences, churches, and community league halls)
- Uniquely Canadian: Gardens that celebrate Canada with red and white flowers and/or features evoking our shared heritage.
After the nomination deadline, volunteers deliver a sign and brochure to each nominated yard. Top yards will be judged and results will be announced during the Edmonton in Bloom Awards on Thursday, August 24 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend the celebration!
It’s Easy to Nominate!
- Anyone can submit a nomination
- Nominations must be for a front yard or a yard visible by everyone.
- You can submit nominations via:
- Online submission form: frontyardsinbloom.ca
- Phone 311 or email email@example.com
Front Yards in Bloom is a partnership between the Edmonton Horticultural Society, the City of Edmonton, and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.