Break and enters to houses in Westmount are still an issue during daytime hours. It is likely that the offender is ringing door bells to see if the homeowner is at home before to breaking into the house.
If a suspicious person rings your door bell and something does not seem right, call the Edmonton Police Service complaint line immediately at 780-423-4567. Report the complaint as a “suspicious person in Westmount community that may be related to the break and enter series”.
If possible, note the suspect’s description including race, age, height, weight, facial hair, distinct features, clothing and his direction of travel.
Here are some tips for homeowners to protect themselves:
- If you are home and are not comfortable answering the door, acknowledge you are home by talking through the door.
- Talk with your neighbours to increase awareness and watch the neighbourhood and each other’s property.
- Install deadbolt locks on your home for added security.
- Put jewelry and other valuables in a safe place.
- Take photos of valuables and record serial numbers if they have any.